You, who call Frankenstein your friend, seem to have a knowledge of my crimes and his misfortunes. But in the detail which he gave you of them he could not sum up the hours and months of misery which I endured wasting in impotent passions. For while I destroyed his hopes, I did not satisfy my own desires. They were forever ardent and craving; still I desired love and fellowship, and I was still spurned. Was there no injustice in this? Am I to be thought the only criminal, when all humankind sinned against me?
–Mary Shelley, Frankenstein
We went out to watch a big-screen showing of the classic 1931 movie version with Boris Karloff; so I thought a quote from the novel was opportune. Besides, Halloween will soon be upon us!
Yesterday was “Radio Gaga”; today is Lady Gaga! Long-time readers know that Lady Gaga is pretty big around here, so no suprise! This is her duet with Bradley Cooper from the new version of A Star is Born. Enjoy!
One could cogently argue that the 1980’s Giorgio Moroder cut of Fritz Lang’s seminal science fiction movie Metropolis is not the best or definitive version. I would argue, though, that Moroder’s soundtrack for Metropolis is one of the best soundtracks of the 80’s, or, in fact, of that latter part of the last century. The soundtrack album, though, has different versions of the songs, though, and is in my opinion substantially inferior. This is most evident with Pat Benatar’s contribution. She sings “Here’s My Heart”, which recurs throughout the film; and the version in the film is far superior to that on the soundtrack album. The version above is a spliced-together mix of the movie version of the song. Despite the inferior production values of the album version, Benatar does great on it; but in the movie version, she sings like an angel. I dare you not to fall in love with her after listening to this! 😉
1. “The Rosary is the ‘weapon’ for these times.” -Saint Padre Pio
2. “Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world.” – Blessed Pope Pius IX
3. “The greatest method of praying is to pray the Rosary.” – Saint Francis de Sales
4. “Some people are so foolish that they think they can go through life without the help of the Blessed Mother. Love the Madonna and pray the rosary, for her Rosary is the weapon against the evils of the world today. All graces given by God pass through the Blessed Mother.” -St. Padre Pio
5. “Go to the Madonna. Love her! Always say the Rosary. Say it well. Say it as often as you can! Be souls of prayer. Never tire of praying, it is what is essential. Prayer shakes the Heart of God, it obtains necessary graces!” -St. Padre Pio
6. “The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you’ll be amazed at the results.” -St. Josemaria Escriva
7. “Say the Holy Rosary. Blessed be that monotony of Hail Mary’s which purifies the monotony of your sins!” -St. Josemaria Escriva
8. “For those who use their intelligence and their study as a weapon, the Rosary is most effective. Because that apparently monotonous way of beseeching Our Lady as children do their Mother, can destroy every seed of vainglory and pride.” – St. Josemaria Escriva
9. “You always leave the Rosary for later, and you end up not saying it at all because you are sleepy. If there is no other time, say it in the street without letting anybody notice it. It will, moreover, help you to have presence of God.” – St. Josemaria Escriva
10. “The Rosary is a powerful weapon to put the demons to flight and to keep oneself from sin…If you desire peace in your hearts, in your homes, and in your country, assemble each evening to recite the Rosary. Let not even one day pass without saying it, no matter how burdened you may be with many cares and labors.” – Pope Pius XI
11. “The rosary is the book of the blind, where souls see and there enact the greatest drama of love the world has ever known; it is the book of the simple, which initiates them into mysteries and knowledge more satisfying than the education of other men; it is the book of the aged, whose eyes close upon the shadow of this world, and open on the substance of the next. The power of the rosary is beyond description.” – Archbishop Fulton Sheen
12. ““The Rosary is the most excellent form of prayer and the most efficacious means of attaining eternal life. It is the remedy for all our evils, the root of all our blessings. There is no more excellent way of praying.” Pope Leo XIII
13. “No one can live continually in sin and continue to say the Rosary: either they will give up sin or they will give up the Rosary” – Bishop Hugh Doyle
14. “The Most Holy Virgin in these last times in which we live has given a new efficacy to the recitation of the Rosary to such an extent that there is no problem, no matter how difficult it is, whether temporal or above all spiritual, in the personal life of each one of us, of our families…that cannot be solved by the Rosary. There is no problem, I tell you, no matter how difficult it is, that we cannot resolve by the prayer of the Holy Rosary.” -Sister Lucia dos Santos of Fatima
15. “Here is an example to help you understand the efficacy of the Rosary. You remember the story of David who vanquished Goliath. What steps did the young Israelite take to overthrow the giant? He struck him in the middle of the forehead with a pebble from his sling. If we regard the Philistine as representing evil and all its powers: heresy, impurity, pride, we can consider the little stones from the sling capable of overthrowing the enemy as symbolizing the Aves of the Rosary.
Courtesy of here. Today is the feast day of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary.
PRAYERS TO SAINT BRUNO
Father, You called Saint Bruno to serve You in solitude. In answer to his prayers help us to remain faithful to You amid the changes of this world. We ask this through Our Lord Jesus Christ, Your Son, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God for ever and ever. Amen.
CARTHUSIAN PRAYER TO SAINT BRUNO
All powerful, eternal God, you prepare dwelling places in heaven for those who renounce this world. We humbly beg of your boundless clemency that through the intercession of our blessed Father Bruno, your Confessor, we may faithfully fulfill the vows of our profession, and safely attain those things you have promised to all who persevere in your friendship. This we ask of you through Christ our Lord. Amen.
O loving Father and glorious St. Bruno, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death!
PRAYER TO SAINT BRUNO
O glorious St. Bruno, whose name I have the happiness to bear and to whom God confided the care of my salvation when, in holy Baptism, He adopted me as one of His children, obtain for me, by you intercession, grace to lead a life in keeing with the spirit of our holy religion. Aid me, charitable protector of my soul, to recover the grace of Baptism which I have forfeited by sin. By your prayers, obtain for me from God the assistance which I need to imitate faithfully your virtues. Protect me against the many dangers of this life, and do not abandon me at the hour of my death. Amen.
St. Bruno, my holy patron, pray for me now and at the hour of my death!
PRAYER TO SAINT BRUNO
O glorious patriarch, holy Father Bruno, look down upon us with those eyes of kindness that so often won men’s hearts. Day and night as of old, thou dost hear in heaven’s court the voices of thy sons upon earth joined in God’s praises, linked with the angel choirs.
Sweet Father, if our voices may reach that Throne of Majesty, we ourselves are not yet come there. Guard and guide us on that heaveward road thou hast trod before us. Thou knowest its dangers; thou knowest our weakness. Be our helper that we may keep unquenched that fire of fervor which thou didst light up so long ago. Then shall we be thy crown of glory both here and hereafter. Amen.
O glorious St. Bruno, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death!
I confess to God, to Blessed Mary and to all the Saints, that I have sinned exceedingly through my fault by pride, thought, word, deed and omission. I ask Blessed Mary, Holy Father Bruno and all the Saints to pray for me.
+ May Almighty God have mercy on me through the prayers of Blessed Mary, Holy Father Bruno and all the Saints, and forgive me all my sins and bring me to life everlasting. Amen.
Thy life, O Father Bruno, was resplendent with many monastic virtues. As thou wast unwavering in thy faith to thy last breath, O Saint, pray that we may emulate thy virtues and thereby be found worthy of eternal salvation.
Courtesy of here. St. Bruno was the founder of the Carthusian Order, and today is his feast day.